Friday, August 19, 2016

Priorities



A couple of years ago an employee from another department was talking with me about his dilemma having enough time for work, school, and personal life. Fortunately he was still very young, recently started college, and didn't have as many bills or responsibilities as he would have in his thirties. I gave him some advice then, which turned out to be advice for myself that's I've tried to remember over the past couple of years: I told him to find out what his priority was, focus on that, and then whatever came behind that in order accordingly. I told him to feel good and confident in his decision, to not feel bad about having a priority, and to not apologize for it - not even to himself.

Last week I took a me-cation alone for a few days to clear my head and think of my priorities. With all the things I do and love to do, two things were at the forefront of my mind: health and education. My top two priorities are my health and my education, and I need to feel good in that assumption, and to not apologize to anyone, including myself, for making those my priorities.

For my health, this involves exercising consistently, minding my nutrition, getting sleep, and keeping myself in a positive mental state. For my education, this involves my college courses, independent research, teaching others, reading and observing topics of health and marketing. I am rediscovering my soul and passion this year for the arts, dancing, and entertainment events, which I can incorporate in my heath (dancing) and education (both at work and school).

Other things I love doing that I don't plan on giving up in my life, such as travelling and being a personal wellness consultant, need to come after these initial priorities. At first thought I don't even want to type those words, or think about what they mean, or feel I have to step back even a little bit of those things. Then I remember my advice and know I've made the right decision, and not apologize to even myself.

Running around trying to do everything all at once isn't going to get you anywhere. If you want to get ANYTHING done, and done well, you need to prioritize. In the end, I know I will be more productive and happier.

I already am this week. :)

Yours in health and happiness,

Samantha Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment