Friday, October 24, 2014

Being Healthy is Not a Part Time Job

And sometimes I forget that.

Sometimes I get so excited and comfortable with my happy contentment of health that I ease up a little too much. Sure, that cupcake won't kill me. Heck, I'm low on carbs, I can eat those free cookies at work. I love pizza. I eat healthy the rest of the time...

There's nothing wrong with these thoughts by themselves of course. The problem comes when you say these things to yourself more & more frequently. Then the next thing you know you're having the second caramel apple ever in your life two days in a row and haven't kept up your food logging this week and wonder why your body all of the sudden feels like you're coming down with something.

The caramel apple was pretty good though.

Halfway through my shift at work today my body was screaming for nutrients. My skin feels achy when things like this happen... That I know I need a high dose of veggies, some tea, probably some homemade soup, and definitely a decent amount of sleep with a day of relaxation. When it was time for me to clock out tonight, that's pretty much all I wanted to do. Planned gym-time had to be set aside as I stopped by the grocery store on my way home to pick up a couple essentials.

On my way a small light bulb came on: My detox drink. Now hold your horses: I'm not using the phrase "detox drink" as some magical potion that's going to make you instantly healthy or thin or clean you out like the million detox drink fads claim. Nature has its little helpers for things like this.

Let's start with the basics:
Water. Duh. Drink lots of it. Put stuff in it. What stuff?

Lemons / Lemon Juice: 
Lemons are high in Vitamin C, which helps your immunity to help ward off things like colds & infections. It is an antioxidant which helps prevent inflammation, heart issues and cancer. It is an assistant to our liver - which is one of our two main organs (the other being our kidneys) that actually does our body's detoxing. It is also a natural disinfectant.

When people say, "We don't need to take anything special to detox, our body does that on their own." Well, they are both right and wrong. Our body DOES cleanse itself, but it needs help, aka instructions on how to do this. It doesn't make sense to think you can chug as much alcohol as you want and your body will clean all of it out for you with no issues forever, right? Your body knows what to do, but you still have to help it, not hurt it.

Cayenne Pepper: 
I try to sneak this in almost anywhere I can on a daily basis: In my egg whites for breakfast, my quinoa for lunch, my chicken or pasta for dinner. It is one of the most potent anti-inflammatory ingredients for health, great for metabolizing food and digestion. This temporary increase in metabolism produces a thermal effect which naturally helps the body speed up its detoxifying process. Cayenne is also noted to help blood pressure & prevent the formation of blood clots.


Apple Cider Vinegar:
Fights bacteria, improves digestion & metabolism, strengthens the immune system and prevents UTIs.

And here is what I gather around my kitchen to make my own detox drink. It may not taste fabulous, but it does the job! I caught the flu for my first time in years this past January, and I was able to start getting over it within a matter of days after I started drinking this. More to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment