Thursday, July 31, 2014

Trainers Train With Trainers (and you should too!)


Trainers have trainers, professional athletes have trainers, people that haven't stepped foot into a gym in 10 years (or ever) have trainers... Everyone can benefit from a personal trainer. There is always something you can learn from someone else.

I feel lucky to be in the unique position of being a Certified Personal Trainer (NESTA) and work at a gym, but not be a trainer in the gym I work at. Certain roles are appropriate certain places & not in others. I get to help more people than I could otherwise, and I get to train with a great variety of trainers - sometimes I feel like Pokemon: Gotta catch 'em all!

Having a trainer isn't just about "showing you how to exercise" or "lose weight", they can do pretty much anything. My personal favorite things about working with other trainers is that you can see different perspectives (working out, nutrition, etc.) and they most likely will push you much more than you would push yourself on your own. And I definitely push myself on my own. I also love learning different things (do you think if you work with a dozen trainers, they're all going to show you the same thing?) and the added plus that my workouts are never boring because of this.

I started working with a new female trainer the past couple of weeks and today reminded me of why I chose her & why I love working with other trainers. When I do dead-lifts on my own, I usually pick up a 40lb bar, or if that's not around I'll get the 30. What did she bring over? A 65lb bar for 12+ reps. Instead of laughing (like I did another time a different trainer gave me something much heavier than I thought I could do) I said "Sure, I'll try it." Completed through the end, I did go.

Wondering what to look for in a trainer, or where to find one? Contact me with your questions and locations and I will be glad to help you out! You do want to look for someone who's certified through a reputable national licensing program (NESTA, ACE, NASM, NCSF) and above all - someone who LISTENS to you and makes you feel COMFORTABLE.

Cheers to lifting for all! Or just eating better works too. :)

~ Samantha Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment