Friday, July 25, 2014

Finals Week in Summer School

My blog postings have been uber sparse this past week. Besides the usual recipe & workout posts, I have a great little feature profile on an amazing lady & her personal journey through losing over 70lbs. I was hopping to get it done by today, but it will have to wait until next Friday.

In getting back to life I obviously decided to get back to school, and just finished my first computer course at City College of San Francisco. I was really happy to be returning after a 6 year absence! I had always really loved going to college. The last class I took, which I unfortunately ended up having to drop in Summer 2008 was Ownership & Operation of Small Business. I had gotten my AA and a couple of certifications from CCSF in December of 2004 for Business and Dance (I was teaching dance at the time) and continued to take classes there because I absolutely love learning things. I took some psychology which I did great at, and attempted to take some music courses which I didn't do so great at. I guess we can only be talented at so many things (haha) but I wouldn't mind attempting some more music theory & composition in the future. Currently, my priorities are focused in other areas.

Since this was the first class I was going to take after so long, I decided it might be a good idea to brush up on some things I would probably need to know no matter what I do: Computer applications. True that I am connected to the Internet at all times, but that really doesn't mean I know anything about computers. Computer Applications for Business was the course I ended up taking, which covered Word, Excel, PowerPoint and a bit of Access in just 6 weeks. Before a few weeks ago, I only knew how to change the colors of the boxes in Excel, and I thought PowerPoint was like magic. Continuing to work full time, I bought my first ground coffee to make at home before going to school in the morning in I don't know how many years, but quite a few years at least. Coffee doesn't taste as fabulous as I remember it.

I don't have my final grade yet so I don't get to share that with you now, but I think I did well. This might have also been the first semester in my entire life where I didn't miss a single day of school. That in itself makes me very happy. It's just another thing I get to notice that is so much different in my current life now than in the life I had before I got sick. Believe it or not I have had many recurring nightmares about missing school for one reason or another haha. Maybe now those nightmares will go away.

So now I have 2 weeks of semi-freedom, since I'm still working full time, and also plan to catch up on some hardcore working out. Then I have 1 week of REAL ACTUAL VACATION! The last actual vacation I took was my birthday in January. The extent of me having more than 1 weekend day off since has pretty much only been extended to 3 days off over Easter weekend to visit my mom & grandpa. I'm taking this me-time now because fall semester is just around the corner on August 18th! I'm already signed up for a psychology and a nutrition class, and am on the waiting list for a women's health class. Very excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment