Friday, July 18, 2014

Chocolate Sponge Protein Bar

Today's Blog Bonus:
Easy Ways to Boost Fiber - from SparkPeople
You're probably not getting the 30-35 grams of fiber per day that you probably need. And if you have an irrational fear of "carbs", I can almost guarantee you're not if you're not taking fiber supplements.

I couldn't find an easy protein bar recipe to make at home with the ingredients I had, so I decided to wing it tonight & see what happens.

Why not? I was using things I had an abundance of anyway: Chocolate protein powder, flaxseed, stevia, maple syrup... Sometimes we just gotta learn things on our own.

Anyway, like the title says, it came out like a sponge. A hard yet chocolate edible sponge. I'm not saying you should go try & make this, but I am sharing in my experience of trials & errors. It's not bad, but I'm going to alter it the next time I attempt this again. Maybe I didn't need to cook it so long...

I used:
8 scoops of chocolate protein powder (had a boatload of Gold Standard I got on sale at work)
4 or 5 tablespoons of whole flax seed I put in my blender before adding to the powder.
1/4 cup organic maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon stevia
4 tablespoons vanilla syrup
2 packets of Swiss Miss Diet (used as insurance for a chocolate-y flavor)
1 tablespoon organic coconut oil

Preheated oven to 350 degrees.
Coated with Earth Balance organic buttery spread
Baked for 15 minutes.

Thanks to MyFitnessPal's huge food database, I can tell you each of these 8 servings contains:
184 cals. 25g protein, 12g carbs, 4g fat, 1g fiber, 171mg of sodium

No comments:

Post a Comment