Tuesday, July 1, 2014

A Corporation's Religion Can Dictate Women's Health

I could go into a long rant, but it's been a long day for me. I'll leave you with a few memes and some quotes from Ruth Bader Ginsburg's 35 page dissent. And a note at the end of my ironic experience at the lady doctor today.


"In a decision of startling breadth, the Court holds that commercial enterprises, including corporations, along with partnerships and sole proprietorships, can opt out of any law (saving only tax laws) they judge incompatible with their sincerely held religious beliefs," Ginsburg wrote. She said she feared that with its decision, the court had "ventured into a minefield."

"It bears note in this regard that the cost of an IUD is nearly equivalent to a month's full-time pay for workers earning the minimum wage," she wrote. 

"The requirement carries no command that Hobby Lobby or Conestoga purchase or provide the contraceptives they find objectionable," she wrote. "Instead, it calls on the companies covered by the requirement to direct money into undifferentiated funds that finance a wide variety of benefits under comprehensive health plans."


Further, Ginsburg wrote, a woman's decision to claim birth control benefits in consultation with her doctor is in no way compelled by her employer and is not equivalent to a moral action on the part of her employer.
"Should an employee of Hobby Lobby or Conestoga share the religious beliefs of the Greens and Hahns, she is of course under no compulsion to use the contraceptives in question," Ginsburg wrote.



At my OBGYN today, I found out the ring that I've been on since 2009 (which I have to be on hormonal birth control due to issues with my period) is not covered under Medi-Cal that I am currently on. This means I have to go back to using the pill, which I had many more side effects on. It took many brands & many years and many days of being non-functional to find something with side effects I could deal with: not having to vomit 4 days in a row, not having sharp headaches for days on end, & didn't make me suicidal.

So much for the best interest of the patient here in America: Where corporations are people but women are not.


No comments:

Post a Comment