Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The Amazing World of MyFitnessPal!


Alright. We use lots of different apps & social media sites. If there is one anything that I could say to anyone that it could probably better their life, it's MyFitnessPal: www.myfitnesspal.com

Me on the right, at the MyFitnessPal user panel May 2014

Technically I first registered for this app/site back in June 2010. At least that's what my profile says. I think I added it when I got my first smart phone (I'm a late bird with technology) and didn't really know how to use it. I also had installed the LoseIt! app back then too, which I did use for awhile. At first, they were more basic calorie-counting and food-tracking tools. This was around the time my health was declining and my weight was increasing & I was trying to figure out what was going on & what I could do about it, besides taking my prescriptions and "eating less"... God those words "eat less" just sound so dirty to me now!

Fast forward about 2&1/2 years where I was finally off meds & really getting into the swing of totally eating right for my body. Thanks to other people having New Years Resolutions, a few of my friends had posted they were going to be starting MyFitnessPal and wanted to cheer each other on. Heck yeah I wanted in on that. It's great when people want to do right for themselves, but it's SO much easier and fun (yes, fun!) when you have a partner to cheer you on. MyFitnessPal isn't just about weight loss, or counting calories, it's also a community, and people even go there when they need help GAINING weight. They have the hugest freakin database of food out of anyone in the health & fitness app land. Oh, that California Burger from Buckhorn Grill I got at the Metreon the other night? Totally has that in there, with all your macros and nutrients added up for you.

I'm a firm believer that you can fix almost any health issue through food & nutrition. Why? Because I fixed all my stuff that doctors couldn't figure out with me no matter how many pills they put me on. Yes, I am anecdotal, and my favorite Guinna pig, but you can be too! What do you have to lose besides um, getting healthy?

Logging your food in the beginning might suck. It might be tedious and you might feel like you don't want to bother with taking the 15 seconds to input what you had for lunch in order to make the rest of your life for as long as you live to be super fabulous. But let's say you were gonna give it a go for a week or two. At the end of the two weeks I'm sure it will be second nature to you. I mean, they not only have a website, BUT AN APP THAT YOU CAN USE ANYWHERE. What is really your excuse? You don't want to count calories or feel like you have to eat more or less? You don't have to. I myself have other goals, like making sure I'm getting enough fiber, and getting the proper ratio of carbohydrates, proteins and fats. Finding and seeing patterns in all this is what is going to give YOU the CONTROL of making yourself live a better life. You are going to feel amazing!

This is not a one-size-fits-all. Everyone requires different things to survive. As much as I praise MyFitnessPal, I do have to caution to be wary of the boards, especially if you are not social media bred & savvy. The posters are not there for medical advice, and can be pretty lame (if I hear "you're not a special snowflake" or IPOARM and IIFYM much more in life my head may explode) but for the most part, you kinda can't lose.

Try it. Figure out what works for you. Let me know how it goes.


Samantha Marie

MyFitnessPal current user name: spamantha57 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment