Sunday, September 18, 2016

Yay It's Genetically Modified!

I was so happy to read on a coffee label that it was made with GMOs. No really.



For as much and as long as I've tried to fight the good fight to get foods labeled that contain genetically modified ingredients, my reaction to finally seeing it in person was probably opposite of expected, even to myself. Companies have asserted that horrors would happen if they were forced to provide such a label, perhaps fearing drastically declining sales. Getting foods labeled that contain GMOs was less a witch-hunt and more a struggle for information and the right to make an informed decision. I want to know what it is that is being put into my body, whether it is food, medicine, or an earring. Whether they are "good" or "bad" has less to do than my right, and my personal decision. People know alcohol and sugar isn't good for them, but they know what it is they are consuming when they put it into their body. They are making an informed decision and accepting whatever risks may come.

I buy organic whenever I can. I always thought I wouldn't buy anything with a GMO label. Yet here I was reading this label, thinking to myself, "I rarely drink coffee. This sounds good and I actually respect this brand more, forced to or not, for being one of the first products to have a genetically modified label on its package." And I bought it.

Am I a hypocrite? I think I'm more of a normal human in this instance. With my 98% healthy lifestyle of organic vegetables, consistent workouts, and essential oil remedies, I'm perfectly okay with making the informed decision to purchase a genetically modified coffee, the occasional pizza, or Irish Car Bomb.

Hopefully you value the ability of yourself to make informed decisions too. :)

Yours in health and happiness,

Samantha Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment