Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Designer vs. Drugstore: YSL and Rimmel Face Off

Another Makeup Monday:
"The most coveted VoxBox yet!" is what it declared when I was chosen as an Influenster to receive the new YSL Mascara Volume Effect Faux Cils for testing purposes.



I love mascara. It's probably my 2nd most must-have product to wear daily right after lip gloss. Of course I was stoked to try one from a fabulous YSL line.

"Volume" and "False Lash Effect" are plastered everywhere I try to look up the product online.
I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.

Well... There's some definition, I'll give it that. But volume? Recently this past year I've been wearing Makeup Forever's Smoky Extravagant Mascara which is pretty fabulous. Definitely didn't have near the volume as MUFE. I had tried a Rimmel Mascara for testing sometime last year too, which I had compliments on. I decided to purchase this drugstore brand again which retails around $8 to put head-to-head in a face-off with a brand that I'm sure is going to charge 4 times as much. Here are the results.

Rimmel Accelerator Lash Endless & YSL Volume Effect Mascara vs. My Bare Eye


I took these photos without any other makeup on & used no filters or touch-ups of any kind.
YSL Mascara

Rimmel Mascara

YSL on the right side, Rimmel on the left side

If Rimmel doubled its price to $16 and YSL went on clearance for $8, I'd still buy the Rimmel.

This just goes to show that designer names and a high price point really don't mean anything when it comes to getting what you want out of a product.

No comments:

Post a Comment