Wednesday, September 24, 2014

EAT ME Week: Day 3

PROTEIN!

I am going to extend my right to bias on my personal blog & talk more about vegetarian sources of protein, but will still include a few top options for all the carnivores out there.

Two of the best reasons why you should be focusing on protein in your diet if you are losing weight is 1) it helps keep you full, and 2) it helps maintain your muscle mass, so you lose more fat instead of muscle.



My Top 5 Vegan Sources of Protein:
Pinto Beans
Quinoa
Peanut Butter
Chia Seeds
Organic Soy (in soy milk, tofu, etc.)


Here is a list of great complete vegetarian proteins, from Greatist: http://greatist.com/health/complete-vegetarian-proteins





My Top 5 Non-Vegan Sources of Protein:
Greek Yogurt
Eggs/ Egg Whites
Chicken
Tuna
Whey Protein Supplements (powder, bars)

As a bonus, I will add my favorite food: Cheese!

Other Great Sources of Protein:
Spirulina (read about it!)
Salmon
Hemp Seed
Turkey
Nuts (Peanuts, Almonds & Pistachios are high in protein)
Tempeh
Cottage Cheese
Peas

Have you heard me talk about alkaline foods? Here is something to put in a little perspective the next time you go to the grocery store:

Enjoy! :)

~Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment